Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can I clip my infant's fingernails if he's only a few days old?

Can I clip my infant's fingernails if he's only a few days old?





My baby's fingernails have grown and I'm afraid he will scratch himself. At the same time, I'm not sure what to do with it. Could you pls give your advice?Can I clip my infant's fingernails if he's only a few days old?
Yes you can, I had to right away with my son! He had long nails.





Use infant nail clippers and clip no lower than the whites of their nails. The ';white'; part may still be clear as a newborn, so don't cut them shorter than the top of the nail bedCan I clip my infant's fingernails if he's only a few days old?
Clipping baby's fingernails leaves them sharp. It's better to use a baby emery board, or nail file. These leave the ends of the nails smoother, and will help avoid further scratches. Biting baby's nails is just silly, and runs a risk of tearing the nail down to the quick, which as I'm sure you know can be VERY painful for an adult, much less a newborn. Either way, if you choose to clip or file, it's easier to do when baby is asleep. There's less fidgeting.
Yes but usually mothers bite the nails off babies. Also, some babies have to wear special little 'mitten' type things ( I have pics of me in the hospital as a newborn wearing them cause I scratched my face-but that may now be outdated advice). Wait until the baby is asleep before attempting to cut or bite them.
Yes you can, its smart to so they dont scratch up their face....i dont see how parents can bite off their kids nails...its gross and distrubing...best time is to do it when they fall asleep so your less likely to cut them if they move and after a bath when their nails are softest.
I found that my daughter's nails were too soft to clip. We used mitts and clothing that had the mitts attached so she didn't scratch her face. I didn't start clipping her nails till she was around 10 weeks then I used a nail file afterwards since the nails were still sharp.
sure can! some say you can bite them off, enough to get a rip on the side and you can rip the rest of the nail off. I just used cuticle scissors and snipped them off. Its usually a weekly thing to do to your child.
It's best to use a nail file. Right now, the nails are paper thin and it is too easy to clip their skin instead of the actual nail. I use a nail file and file the nails.
Yes. Of course you can. I usually bite my daughters nails as it is easier than holding her hand and the clippers. You could also try scratch mitts. Congratulations!
you can try to cut them but its easier to use your teeth as the nails are very soft and its probably easier this way x x
i wouldnt yet as the skin around the fingernails may not have developed properly yet and may not have harde
You could put scratch mits on him, or yes, you could clip them, or bite them.

No comments:

Post a Comment